Physics World is the flagship publication by IOP Publishing, the publishing arm of the Institute of Physics, a leading scientific society and the UK’s main membership organisation for Physicists. Since the new app launched in October 2014 Physics World has doubled its monthly users and increased international readership by 650%, whilst reducing in-house production time for each monthly edition by 50%.
Replacing an older app, the key objectives of the new Pugpig-powered app were to increase the number of digital readers to 1000 per issue, reach an international audience and to create a more compelling digital magazine.
- Three fully interactive content apps were launched by October 2014 across iOS, Android and desktop, and one year on Physics World has achieved all of these objectives, and more.
- Physics World has doubled its usage and now regularly has over 5,000 active users a month. The average user reads six articles per session.
- International readership of Physics World has increased by 650%, with the most users outside the UK being in the US, followed by India, Australia and China.
- Pugpig’s WordPress CMS approach allows in-house production and has reduced the time required to create each issue by 50%, from six days per issue to just three.
- Two thirds of users access the app on a mobile device, with the remaining third of users accessing the app on a desktop computer. There is a 50:50 split between iOS and Android users on the Physics World app.
- The app’s workflow enables old articles to be reused and repurposed for one off special issues, which sit within the same Physics World app container, and help to increase awareness of the publication with non-members.
And to top off a really successful year, Physics World won best ‘Association / Non-Profit Digital Edition’ at the Eddie Digital Awards in New York, October 2015.
“Such a significant technological change to our publishing platform for Physics World came with its challenges. IOP Publishing and Kaldor essentially worked as partners to solve these challenges together. We have replaced an old app with a slick, well designed, device agnostic excellent reading experience. Our readership has doubled and we now have a compelling offering for other national societies as well as our own Institute members.” Jo Allen, Head of Marketing and B2B, IOP Publishing.
Jonny Kaldor, CEO and co-founder of Kaldor says “It’s inspiring to see such a perfect example of how apps with great content and a well thought through distribution and engagement plan can have such a massive positive impact on readership. We look forward to working alongside Physics World to make an even bigger impact over the next 12 months“.
Read the full case study on our website.